Affordable Dash Cams – Best Value In Car Cameras
- 1 Affordable Dash Cams – Best Value In Car Cameras
- 1.1 RoadPixel P102 Review
- 1.2 Bottom Line.
- 1.3 HYT-GS8000L Review
- 1.4 Bottom Line.
- 1.5 KiwiBird Review
- 1.6 Bottom Line.
- 1.7 Monkon M04L Review
- 1.8 (Currently unavailable, an updated alternative product below)
- 1.9 Bottom Line.
- 1.10 What Aspects Of A Dashcam Make It Good Value?
- 1.11 Must Have Features.
- 1.12 The Nice To Have Features.
- 1.13 Extra Features Which Are An Added Bonus.
With the risk of being hit on today’s roads, especially now that “crash-for-cash” scams are on the increase, it is always a good idea to protect yourself from such scammers! Dash cams were quite pricey when they first came into the market and not everyone could afford them. Times have moved on since then and they are now more affordable. This doesn’t mean buying a “cheap” dashcam that may or may not work leaving you with reliability issues. Even good quality, well built dashcams have gotten to be very affordable. Granted, going for a lower priced model may not give you the “bells and whistles” you would likely get with some of the more premium models such as motion detection or wifi compatibility, for example. However, many of us simply want a dash cam that is there as a security device. You hope you would never need it, but if something was to happen; you would be glad you have one! The dashcams featured here are some of the best, “entry level” models currently on the market. They all have very good customer reviews on Amazon, a decent specification and are perfect, with regards to value for money, if you are looking for your first basic dash cam. The investment here is low compared to what you would save on insurance excess and an increase in premium should you be unfortunate enough to get hit and lose your no claims bonus. After the initial investment in the cam and an SD card (most come with one included!), it will literally be free. Its powered by your cars’ battery and will record on a loop. You just have to remember to get into the habit of using it on every journey. Want to save more money? Check with your insurance company. More and more car insurers are starting to offer a discount on premiums on the basis of you using the dash cam on every journey! It will, quite literally, pay for itself in no time!
Garmin Dash Cam Mini Key-Sized Dash Camera with 140-degree Wide-angle Lens and Recording in 1080p HD Video
- Automatic recording of accident videos: As soon as the built-in G sensor detects a collision, the camera automatically stores the corresponding video sequence with one minute before and then in a special archive.
- Ultra-compact and discreet: In a discreet design, the DashCam Mini is your unobtrusive eyewitness when it matters. The DashCam Mini is just the size of a car key.
- High-quality HD recording: With the high-quality 140 wide angle lens, the camera shoots in 1080p HD video resolution and 2.1MP image resolution.
- Best connected: The integrated WLAN and Bluetooth allows you to transfer the recordings to the Garmin Drive app, synchronise multiple cameras, as well as simple updates to software and Garmin Radar information.
AURA HD2 by Road Angel Dash Cam, 2K 1440p 140° Camera with Super Night View, Built-in Wi-Fi, Winter Mode
- This crystal-clear, high resolution dash cam features a powerful 2K 1440p camera with 140° viewing angle and Super Night Mode
- Super-fast built-in Wi-Fi allows quick transfer of the footage from the dash cam to your phone; use the Road Angel App to share video with your insurance company, family and friends
- The Dash cam includes powerful, built-in features including G-Sensor, 24-Hour Real Parking Mode, and Winter Mode - it will even alert you if the SD card stops working or requires formatting
- The Aura exclusive Winter Mode, available when using the Aura HD1/HD2 Hard Wire Kit, keeps the unit operating 24 hours a day, generating extra heat and keeping glass clear of frost, rain, and mist
- The Road Angel App allows quick and easy viewing of recorded footage
KENWOOD DRV-A501W - Wide Quad HD Dash Cam - 3" LCD Screen - Smartphone App - Polarised Filter - 16GB SD-Card
- Wide Quad HD Dashcam (2,560 x 1,440) with integrated 3-inch (7.62-cm) full-colour LCD, 3.7 megapixel CMOS sensor, 126° wide angle lens, light intensity F1.6
- Built-in WiFi; reinforced magnetic click & go mount for easy mounting / removal of the dashcam
- HDR recording for particularly good contrast, integrated 3-axis G-sensor and microphone, smartphone app for wireless connection to the dashcam
- Event detection via G-sensor to automatically save recordings and GPS recording of speed and position
- Suitable for Micro SDXC/SDHC memory card Class 10 (8 GB - 128 GB); 16 GB Micro SD card, suction cup and adhesive holder included for easy installation
RoadPixel P102 ReviewThe top most affordable dash cam for this year has to be The RoadPixel P102 Vehicle Drive Recorder. The RoadPixel P102 is the perfect device to safeguard you on the road. A great picture quality of 1920 x1080 pixels @ 30 frames per second makes this dashcam a very good buy for the affordable price! While it doesn’t have some of the advanced features like motion detection or night vision, it does have a G-Sensor which is an integral feature in any dash cam protecting your footage at the time of impact. If you are In market for a basic, entry-level dashcam that isnt cheap, then this is the cam for you. While being very affordable, The RoadPixel P102 has good picture quality and is a very well built cam. The RoadPixel P102 does also have a mic to capture all sounds incase of an incident and comes with a 4GB SD card so you are ready to start using it as soon as you receive it. RoadPixel is a UK based company, situated in Welwyn Garden City. So technical or other queries will be answered very quickly.
Bottom Line.The P102 by RoadPixel is a very good camera, the quality is great – making number plates clear and the image crisp. If you are looking for a good quality dash cam without all the bells and whistles, this is definitely the best option!
HYT-GS8000L ReviewFrom HYT comes the GS8000L, another well-built, entry-level dashcam. While the price point says it is entry level, the quality output you can expect from the GS8000L is very good. For a budget dash cam, you do actually get some good features. Firstly the recording is at 1920 x 1080 pixels at 24fps so it is still a very high quality 1080p video. It has a 140 degree wide angle lens to capture as much as possible and has a G-Sensor to lock the footage in the event of an incident. The 2.7″ LCD screen is perfectly adequate for viewing what is currently recording and the image quality of the screen is actually pretty good itself. Clear enough for you to navigate the menu system which is very easy to follow and to video real-time recording! The GS8000L also comes fully equipped with IR night vision! This is crucial for clarity in video quality when driving at night time, especially on dimly lit roads. The suction cup for the GS8000L is also very good when compared to its peers. The camera will stay on the windscreen, whether you drive over a pot-hole or a speed bump!
Bottom Line.For an entry level dash cam, the features offered in the GS8000L are great. Much like the RoadPixel P102, it is a great no-frills dash cam, however, unlike the P102, the GS8000L does have IR night vision. In my opinion, the video quality of the recording during the night time on the P102 is perfectly fine. Slightly more features than the P102, the GS8000L is again a very good deal.
KiwiBird ReviewOne of the more colourful dashcams around, its easy on the eye but don’t let its beauty throw you off, it is a very good device as well. With 1920 x 1080 high definition video resolution on a 2.7″ screen, the video quality of the KiwiBird is as good as it gets. Keeping your video files compressed using a H.264 MOV format, you can now store more on your 16 GB TF card (which comes with the Amazon purchase of this dash cam. The KiwiBird has a wide angle lens of 148 degrees – which is wider than the typical industry standard of 140 degrees. Allowing you to capture more of your windscreen view, giving you that much more protection on the road. It has an in-built HD screen for instant feedback when on the road and an easy to navigate menu system. The KiwiBird also comes equipped with a 24 hour parking mode – car security surveillance, if you were to leave your car at an area known for crime. G-Sensor, to lock and protect any recording surrounding an incident. Night Vision for clear night time viewing and playback, this will prevent the glaring lights off the number plates should you need to use other driver’s number plates in evidence in court. The KiwiBird is the only dashcam I am aware of that comes with an 18 month warranty.
Bottom Line.This is a very good dashcam, it is also aesthetically pleasing and very easy to use. With a few additional features than your complete basic dashcam; the KiwiBird is another good buy!
Monkon M04L Review
From manufacturer, Monkon, comes the M04L dash cam. A stylish little unit but at the same time as being very functional. Another dashcam with a wide angle 148 degree lens to capture that little extra whilst driving (or even while parked up!). The M04L will give you a very high resolution image at 1080p at a very smooth 30 frames per second. H.264 compression providing for small video files but keeping the quality high. Another nifty little feature of the M04L is called the Car Plate Stamp. You enter your car registration number into the unit and it will stamp it on the video as it is your car that did the recording. The M04L’s WDR technology controls the brightness in exposure of the video, making footage brighter or turning down the brightness in order to get the best possible resolution. The 2.7″ screen is a good size and the navigation on the menu system on the camera is more than adequate to find your way around. It has LED night vision allowing you to recording clear video on darker roads and with only headlights – again showing the number plates quite clearly! This is a must as this is where a lot of accidents can occur! The loop recording will keep the camera recording without any interaction from you, always overwriting the oldest data. The G-Sensor comes into play in the event of an incident and locks to protect that data in place. We have two options here. One with a memory card and one without.
Bottom Line.This is another good buy, it has all the basic features and a few extra ones such as the ID stamp and the LED night vision. Instructions could be clearer as they have clearly been translated into English. But for someone with some experience in anything tech should have no issues. All in all, a decent buy.
- 【UHD2160P +1080P Dual Recording 】 The dual dash cam simultaneously records ultra high definition front Ultra HD 2160P and rear 1080P, which captures the road signs and license plates both front and rear of your car to provide insurance claims in case of accident disputes. It's gonna be very useful for your safety and traveling records.
- 【Built-in GPS & Night Vision】The dash camera for cars will record real time GPS coordinates, driving route and speed to be embedded in video files, and allow to playback your ground track on the map with downloadable customized player.
- 【Loop Recording & G-Sensor】Loop Recording automatically overwrites the earliest file and record over it when storage fills up. With G-sensor enabled, the dash cam front and rear will automatically lock the current footage to prevent video from being overwritten when detect a sudden shake/collision, which ensure important footage is protected. Adjust the middle sensitivity of G-sensor to keep the files from being easily locked and memory card is full.
- 【24 Hours Parking Monitoring/G-Sensor/Loop Recording】 With the dedicated hardware kit, the recorder can automatically monitor the surrounding environment.When the built-in G-sensor detects a sudden shock or collision, the camera will automatically lock video. Seamless loop recording will be automatically overwrite old files. Recording will be looped automatically.Dedicated Hardwire kit is needed for parking monitoring function.Please contact REDTIGER support team to get it freely.
- 【Lifetime warranty and 24-hour customer service】Our greatest pursuit is to satisfy the needs of consumers. We are willing to provide a lifetime warranty for the products, and it can be exchanged for free within 1 years. This is definitely the most powerful guarantee on the market. We offer 7*24 hours technical support. If you have any queries,please feel free to contact us on Amazon or the contact information on the page of instructions.